Running Log 2012

Thursday, September 16, 2010

you're always hurt most by the ones you love

A sad realization is sinking in. My beloved MT100's may be the source of my left heel pain - heel bursitis to be precise, also known as retrocalcaneal bursitis.

I had read some stuff about Achillies irritaion from these shoes a few months ago but dismissed it as not applying to me. And even after I started having the heel pain a few weeks ago, I didn't even think of attributing it to the shoes. I thought just tight calfs tugging on the Achilles or some other over working going on. My heel has been feeling better this week and by coincidence, I hadn't been running in the 100's. Even this morning, I ran three and a half miles in a pair flats and the heel was feeling pretty good.

Then I go and slip on the 100's a little later and I notice it. Just a little swipe from that protruding piece of foam in the heel cup and the heel started complaining. That subtle little ridge has been messing with me all along and I hadn't even noticed. I'm going to continue to give them a break and see if it goes away.

I'm not sure this is it, but it's starting to add up. Odd thing is that all the complaints I read about were at the top of the heel. But the ridge does run down to the bottom right where my issue is. We'll see. I know that NB is changing up the heel cup design some for the 101, but I haven't seen the particulars. I'm really hoping I can get this love affair back on track.

2 comments:

  1. I have read reports that you can use a file to re-shape your Achilles tendon to conform to the shoe. Might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It couldn't hurt any worse than this aching heart.

    ReplyDelete