Running Log 2012

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

how to win a Heisman

Marcus Lattimore is a freshman running back for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. He was touted as the most recruited running back in the country last year while carrying the ball for Byrnes High School in the upstate of South Carolina. After Saturday's game against Georgia, people are falling all over themselves calling him the second coming of Hershel Walker, Bo Jackson and Billy Sims all rolled into one.

What does Marcus say to all this? He says he needs to work on getting his pads lower. And keeping his pads level. While others talk about numbers and Heismans, Marcus talks about perfecting his craft. He talks about running the football the way Ted Williams talked about hitting a baseball. All that matters is getting the details right. And the effort.

Go to Google. Start typing Marcus. You don't have to type Lattimore because there it is. You think that might go to your head? You think you would keep thinking about keeping your pads level?

I'd like to think I'm with Marcus. I'd like to think that my craft is what matters. Recognition will come or not, but knowing my craft and being able to execute my responsibilities is what matters to me. I don't know. Maybe I'm full of it. But still, I'm with you Marcus. I need to work on getting my pads lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment